Box office estimates for the weekend of July 9-11. Rank. Movie Title – Weekend Gross | Theaters | Total Gross | Week #
1. Despicable Me - $60,117,000 I 3,476 I $60,117,000 I 1 Allen's TSR - 4/10
2. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - $33,400,000 I 4,468 I $237,000,000 I 2 complete Twilight coverage including exclusives interviews with Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart
3. Predators - $25,300,000 I 2,669 I $25,300,000 I 1 complete Predators coverage
4. Toy Story 3 - $22,000,000 I 3,753 I $340,200,000 I 4 complete Toy Story coverage
5. The Last Airbender - $17,150,000 I 3,203 I $100,227,000 I 2 complete Airbender coverage
It seems I’m getting the hang of this thing. I mean, it took long enough, but once again, I was able to nail the box office top five.
Even if Allen wasn’t nuts about Despicable Me, crowds seem to have gone nuts for it, making it the number one flick this weekend. Looks like Steve Carell’s leaving “The Office” is coming just in time and Despicable Me may be just the send off he’d been hoping for.
Even though Eclipse has fallen since its premiere, it doesn’t seem that bothered by the loss. After all, number two is still an incredibly respectable place to be after its second day drop.
The underrated Predators also underperformed in its opening weekend. It seems people weren’t willing to give it much of a chance considering its number three place while still having the fewest theaters in the top five.
Toy Story 3 is still pulling it in after four weeks. Even though its only at number four, considering its in its fourth week and still pulling in 22 million? It’s a pretty impressive feat for Pixar and company.
Finally, The Last Airbender has fallen in its second week. Then again, after its speedy (and lackluster) 3D conversion and all the negative reviews, it’s no wonder. My guess is it won’t be around much longer and if I continue on this streak, I may just be right.