Box office estimates for the weekend of March 26-28. Rank. Movie Title – Weekend Gross | Theaters | Total Gross | Week #
1. How to Train Your Dragon - $43,300,000 I 4,055 I $43,300,000 I 1 Lehar's TSR - 7/10
2. Alice in Wonderland - $17,300,000 I 3,384 I $293,100,000 I 4 Bayer’s TSR – 6/10
3. Hot Tub Time Machine - $13,650,000 I 2,754 I $13,650,000 I 1 Bayer's TSR - 7/10
4. The Bounty Hunter - $12,400,000 I 3,074 I $38,812,000 I 2 Allen’s TSR – 1/10
5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - $10,000,000 I 3,083 I $35,776,000 I 2 McLaughlin’s TSR – 3/10
Well folks, it’s finally happened. It took several weeks, but Alice in Wonderland has been de-throned.
This week’s number one film was family-friendly flick How to Train Your Dragon. As Bayer pointed out, I underestimated the power of this one being brought into theaters on 3D screens as well as IMAX.
Still, Alice’s trip down the rabbit hole is a short one this week, falling only one spot to number two.
Newcomer Hot Tub Time Machine didn’t really bring the heat this weekend with a modest opening for the comedy. The John Cusack time traveling comedy hasn’t really received rave reviews, but I would’ve thought word of mouth might help this move past the number three spot.
The Bounty Hunter proved that despite reviews and it’s opening weekend that audiences aren’t through with it yet. The rom-com fell from 3rd to 4th this weekend, surprisingly leaving the number five spot to another family-friendly film.
The Diary of a Wimpy Kid was the biggest fall this weekend, going from number two all the way down to number 5. Don’t expect this one to stick around much longer because it seems that audiences have found a new family favorite in How to Train Your Dragon.