WEEKEND TOP 5 STUDIO ESTIMATES, MAY 15-17, 2009 Rank. Movie Title - Weekend Gross | Theaters | Total Gross | Week #
1. Angels & Demons - $48.0 million | 3,527 | $48.0 million | 1
2. Star Trek - $43.0 million | 3,860 | $147.6 million | 2
3. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - $14.8 million | 3,892 | $151.1 million | 3
4. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past - $6.9 million | 3,150 | $40.1 million | 3
5. Obsessed - $4.6 million | 2,634 | $62.6 million | 4
Tom Hanks and Ron Howard's Angels & Demons won ... kind of. There's nothing wrong with $48 million, but it's summer blockbuster season, and look at number two. Star Trek has legs. Lots of legs. Take notice of Star Trek's total of $148 million and X-Men Origins: Wolverine at $151 million. Guess what this means people? I'm right. Last week I said by the end of the month Trek would have more money than Wolverine. And now here I am, tooting my horn. I am tooting loud and long.
Angels & Demons will only have the top spot for one week. Terminator Salvation and Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian will make sure of that. And my guess is, Star Trek will have no problem staying in the top three next week.