WEEKEND TOP 5 STUDIO ESTIMATES, JUNE 12-14, 2009 Rank. Movie Title - Weekend Gross | Theaters | Total Gross | Week #
1. The Hangover - $33.4 million | 3,355 | $105.4 million | 2
2. Up - $30.5 million | 3,886 | $187.2 million | 3
3. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 - $25.0 million | 3,074 | $25.0 million | 1
4. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - $9.6 million | 3,365 | $143.4 million | 4
5. Land of the Lost - $9.2 million | 3,534 | $35.0 million | 2
Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say The Hangover is in the best position to be THE surprise hit of the summer. It's just crushing Land of the Lost, but again, I fully believe this is a good thing for Will Ferrell. Though I haven't heard anything to prove this I think it puts Old School Dos (yes, that’s the working title on Old School Part 2) on the map. Todd Phillips is in the perfect position to get Ferrell back and the studio to give up the cash for the sequel.
And now are The Proposal (with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds) and Year One (Jack Black and Michael Cera) worried about the Hangover bandwagoon? Only time (seven days) will tell.
And here's our complete coverage of The Hangover ... enjoy.