WEEKEND TOP 5 STUDIO ESTIMATES, APRIL 24-26, 2009 Rank. Movie Title - Weekend Gross | Theaters | Total Gross | Week #
1. Obsessed - $28.5 million | 2,514 | $28.5 million | 1
2. 17 Again - $11.7 million | 3,255 | $40.0 million | 2
3. Fighting - $11.4 million | 2,309 | $11.4 million | 1
4. The Soloist - $9.7 million | 2,024 | $9.7 million | 1
5. Earth (2009) - $8.6 million | 1,804 | $14.2 million | 1
Beyoncé Knowles wins (Obsessed). An angry black woman, kicking the arse of a slutty white woman ... who would have thought that would work? More importantly, it makes Idris Elba ("The Office," "The Wire") more marketable. We need more Elba in our lives.
The Soloist proves it might be too early for Oscar caliber films. Or maybe it's just not fun to go to the movies and watch the homeless situation in Los Angeles.
And Earth from Disney is an interesting bird. On one hand, I'm thrilled it didn't make the top three cause of the borrowed footage I wrote about in my review ... but what if families didn't take the kids cause the "environment is boring." Then that would be sad.