WEEKEND TOP 5 STUDIO ESTIMATES, JANUARY 9-11, 2009 Rank. Movie Title - Weekend Gross | Theaters | Total Gross | Week #
1. Gran Torino - $29.0 million | 2,808 | $40.1 million | 5
2. Bride Wars - $21.5 million | 3,226 | $21.5 million | 1
3. The Unborn - $21.1 million | 2,357 | $21.1 million | 1
4. Marley and Me - $11.4 million | 3,478 | $123.7 million | 3
5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - $9.5 million | 2,947 | $94.3 million | 3
America loves racism. Right? That's the proper conclusion since Clint Eastwood tops the box office this weekend. OK, maybe they just love Eastwood and I am being sarcastic since I only gave the film a 6/10, though Nick Allen did give it a 9/10, so perhaps I stand alone.
But what's shocking is, Eastwood is not normally box office gold. Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby and In the Line of Fire all topped off at around $100 million. This could be his biggest movie ever. We'll have to wait and see.
Bride Wars and The Unborn also had strong weekends, and those top three films helped shake up the box office. For the last two weeks it was identical with the order looking like this ... 1. Marley and Me 2. Bedtime Stories 3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 4. Valkyrie 5. Yes Man