WEEKEND TOP 5 STUDIO ESTIMATES, AUGUST 1-3, 2008 Rank. Movie Title (Distributor) Weekend Gross | Theaters | Total Gross | Week #
1. The Dark Knight (Warner Bros.) $43.8 million | 4,266 | $394.9 million | 3
2. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Universal) $42.5 million | 3,760 | $42.5 million | 1
3. Step Brothers (Sony / Columbia) $16.3 million | 3,094 | $63.0 million | 2
4. Mamma Mia! (Universal) $13.1 million | 3,062 | $88.0 million | 3
5. Journey to the Center of the Earth (Warner Bros.) $6.9 million | 2,285 | $73.1 million | 4
Source: Box Office Mojo (www.boxofficemojo.com)
It was a nice sigh of relief this weekend. The Mummy couldn't fend off The Dark Knight for the top spot. For the third week in a row, Batman led the way, and it looks like it could be a four week streak, with Pineapple Express being the best chance, and it's hard to imagine the pot, action film with have a wide enough appeal.