We start the Top 7. You finish the Top 10.
In 2009, The Hangover made itself known to the world. We haven't been the same since meeting the Wolfpack of Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms), and Alan (Zach Galifianakis) ... fine, I'll mention Doug (Justin Bartha) too. Everyone fell in love with these guys who were trying to remember what happened the night before in Las Vegas. In 2011, The Hangover Part II happened, and this time the boys were in Thailand ... trying to remember what happened the night before. Sure, there were still some funny moments, but the repetitive nature of the film turned many off. It is now 2013, and the trilogy is coming to an end with The Hangover Part III. Director Todd Phillips definitely changed the story line from the first two films, but along with that he also created the least funny film of the trilogy. It's almost like in his opinion, if the boys aren't waking up confused, then it must become a slow action movie with a few amusing moments. In this "TOP 7 Moments from The Hangover Trilogy," there isn't one scene from The Hangover Part III. I tried, but it doesn't crack the list.
7. Waking Up in Thailand - The Hangover Part II It's deja-vu, only dirtier. The guys wake up in Thailand, just like they did in Las Vegas. The first time we see this part, we don't realize almost everything will feel like deja-vu with this film. Therefore, the humor works, mainly because they use the sequel rule. It must be bigger! Alan's head is shaved (which they shouldn't have shown earlier in the film), and Stu has the Tyson tattoo. Plus, we meet the monkey.
6. Oscar's Head Hits the Cop Car Door - The Hangover "What are you talking about? I've found a baby before." That's the life and confidence of Alan. Bonus points if you remember where Alan previously found a baby. It's even better that Stu accidentally opens the door, hitting Carlos in the head. If Alan did it at this point, we might not be able to take any more of him. If having a baby and tiger in your hotel suite aren't over the top enough ... if making a baby look like he's jacking off isn't enough ... it's physical pain to an infant that will push you to your limit. There is something wrong with all of us in those moments when we first cringe, and then laugh. This is one of those times.
5. Stop Talking - The Hangover Part II There's nothing like good, old-fashioned slap stick, especially when you actually use a slapping stick. The Wolfpack are searching for answers in Bangkok, and that takes them to Tibetan monks. The boys start talking, and start getting a whacking from a monk. The best part of the comedy is that it keeps going. Stu takes a beating, while trying to explain to the others that talking is the reason they are getting beat. Once again, Alan gets the last laugh exclaiming, "Oh, I get it," and then gets knocked off his feet. They could have made this last five minutes, and I would have been happy.
4. Mr. Chow Pops Out of the Trunk - The Hangover When Mr. Chow shows up in The Hangover Part II, I realized I had enough. While I was able to find him OK at best in The Hangover Part III, I will try to remember him at his best: naked, in the trunk, and ready to jump on Phil. At this point in the film, the boys were throwing a condom on each other. Sure, it was amusing, but the story wasn't going anywhere. It takes a big leap when they hear knocking in the trunk. By now, we've all heard that it was Ken Jeong's idea to be naked, which definitely makes the scene funnier. It's also a great line when Mr. Chow asks the age old question, "You gonna f**k on me?"
3. The Photos from the Night Before - The Hangover It was the perfect tease. While the guys pieced the previous night together, we would never be able to see it. It was sad, and kind of perfect, almost like how people talk about it being sexier when a woman has her clothes on. Well, they found a phone, and found the pictures. Instead of a tease, it was the perfect release to a fantastic comedy. Stu's bloody mouth is my favorite picture, even better than Carrot Top showing up.
2. Waking Up in Las Vegas - The Hangover Everyone has had one second where they have woken up, and can't remember what happened the night before. This is the extreme edition of that, and proved a good enough concept to become the highest-grossing rated R comedy of all-time. The chicken is crazy enough for most of us, then the tiger happens with Alan peeing everywhere. On top of that Stu doesn't have a tooth. We've got credit card issues, destruction, no pants on Alan, hangovers, a tiger, and Doug is missing. Everything is ready to roll.
1. Mike Tyson Punches Alan - The Hangover The boys return to their hotel suite, worried about the tiger in their room. They walk into the room, hear Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight," and see Tyson. He gets them to sing along, then drops Alan with a vicious right hook. Tyson probably gained the most from this scene (after all, he's doing Broadway now), but Collins has to be a close second. The concern, joy, and shock of Tyson punching Alan is the best that The Hangover franchise has to offer.