Box office estimates for the weekend of Jan 21 – 23
Rank. Movie Title – Weekend Gross | Theaters | Total Gross | Week # … [The Scorecard Review final score]
1. No Strings Attached – $20,300,000 I 3,018 I $20,300,000 I 1… [TSR 3/10]
2. The Green Hornet – $18,100,000 I 3,584 I $63,441,000 I 2… [TSR 7/10]
3. The Dilemma – $9,727,000 I 2,943 I $33,364,000 I 2… [TSR 3/10]
4. The King’s Speech – $9,164,000 I 1,680 I $58,622,000 I 9… [TSR 9/10]
5. True Grit – $8,000,000 I 3,464 I $138,633,000 I 5… [TSR 9/10]
Well, it seems that audiences were screwed out of their time and hard-earned money, putting No Strings Attached in first place in its opening weekend. The Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher rom com hasn’t received much critical acclaim, but that didn’t stop folks from seeing it.
The Green Hornet slipped to second place, but still packs quite a sting in its second weekend. 3D sales and not many other blockbusters may help keep this one in the top five for a while.
The Dilemma fell to third place. Sadly, that’s not far enough, especially for The Scorecard Review’s McLaughlin who voiced her displeasure with the movie better than I ever could.
The King’s Speech and True Grit, both serious Oscar contenders, are losing some steam with audiences. The King’s Speech stays in fourth, with an impressive box office return considering how few theaters it’s got on its side. True Grit fell from third to fifth, but with so many weeks on top, it was inevitable.